RITE OF PASSAGE

Had an interesting meeting with an amazing man today - John Richardson. John is a visiting professor from American University, spending one semester at the Institute of Water Policy at our School. I was first introduced to him at one of our lectures where he gave a presentation on system dynamics and I was completely impressed, by his knowledge, his style and his dedication. A week or two later I sought him out and had an inspiring meeting with him. Then came the phase of assignments and exams and I lost touch, but would occasionally bump into him in School. After almost a month I met him again today and now feel sad that I should have sought him out more often as I do not know when I will see him again - I leave for India this Thursday and by the time I get back in August he would have completed his term here (hopefully to return next year).


Today we discussed the suitability of an activist like myself, in the field of academia. Recently I have had a lot of questions churning in my mind which I needed to air out and get some honest feedback. What is uncommon about this man is that he is one of the most practical person that I have come across, but who respects and honours idealism totally. And he is brutally honest, something that I personally respect in people.

John said that this PhD for me is my Rite of Passage and I should focus on that aspect. He said that academic institutions pride themselves on being rational, but that is a misnomer. Each institution has its own set of values, norms and traditions, and there are upholders of these traditions who need to be acknowledged. He gave me practical tips on how to go about my PhD business, which I plan to adhere to in toto. What is fascinating about him, which I shared with him too, is that almost all the opinions he shares with me I take it as serious advice, while the same thing if something else had advised me I might have considered it as a perspective and dismissed it. I still do not understand how he gets to me :)

But I am thankful that our paths crossed and hope to meet him again in future too. He did say that if and when he comes back to this School, and gets involved with the PhD programme, he would like to be a part of my Research Committee. I do hope that day comes soon. I just have so much to learn from him!


Wikipedia: Rites of passage have three phases: separation, transition, and re-incorporation. In the first phase, people withdraw from their current status and prepare to move from one place or status to another. There is often a detachment or ‘cutting away’ from the former self in this phase. The transition (liminal) phase is the period between states, during which one has left one place or state but hasn't yet entered or joined the next; the person adjust to the new status. In the third phase, having completed the rite and assumed their 'new' identity, one re-enters society with one's new status, a re-incorporation.

About John:

Comments

  1. Detaching from oneself is sometimes hard. I like this article Shabnam :)

    Greetings from Tuzla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Habibi. Nothing in life was ever easy right ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE JOURNEY OF WILDLIFE WHISPERER (PART 1 – The Beginning)

Mumbai Meri Jaan

BLAST FROM THE PAST