Malaysia - Truly Asia :)

My most recent adventure has conferred on me two titles – ‘Miss-Adventuress’ given by my brother and ‘One-woman bollywood movie’ by my housemate and PhD batchmate. I had read somewhere that each one of us lives a novel, very few write them. So I thought it was time I actually wrote the story.

My tryst with destiny started exactly a week ago - last Friday. This second semester of my PhD had been exacting, both professionally and personally and as soon as we finished on Thursday I was tempted to go away from it all, from School, from College Green (where I live) and from Singapore. All three could be achieved by a simple 45 minute trip to Johar Baru (Malaysia)! So the very next day Maneka (my friend from Srilanka) and I embarked on a simple journey, oblivious to the fact that it would turn into an adventure.

Both of us left early on Friday, wanting to make the most of the day. Sharing confidences, doing girl-talk we excitedly crossed the border remarking how easy and effortless it was, wishing our region (South Asia) could also develop in such a way. We spent the day exploring the malls and had decided to go back to Singapore around 5. At around 3.45 while we were checking out some shoes at the City Square mall, someone stole my bag, which contained my passport, student pass (visa), all cards, cash, mobile phone, house keys, etc., from right next to my feet, and I was left with nothing. In retrospect I think this was meant to happen, because in February this year my wallet had been picked in Genting and I was super conscious. I had observed an odd family of three loitering in the mall, and was suspicious of them, having seen the girl make a beeline for Maneka’s bag which I had held on to it didn’t occur to me that my boring bag would generate interest!

What happened later was how all inefficient systems work. I know because unfortunately I have seen tons of it. We went to complain to the internal security of the mall, where I filled one form after the other, requesting them to see the CCTV but no one seemed interested. What they did do is take me to the Singapore High Commission, where the girl callously told us that I had to approach the Indian High Commission in Kuala Lumpur, get a passport, then apply for Singaporean visa and only then I could enter Singapore. On the face of it I guess this was standard operating procedure, but it felt ridiculous for I was at the border but had to go 300 kms away to complete the formalities, and then come back again, not forgetting that it was already Friday evening and the Indian High Commission would be closed over the weekend, so I could apply only on Monday.

Added to this was the fact that I had no money and between Maneka and I we could barely scrape out tit-bits to get a decent hotel. The pressure took its toll and I could not hold back my tears. I was out of my wits on how I would survive the weekend, knew no one in Malaysia, had no money and no identity and Maneka had to go back that evening. But the worse was not yet over – although at the Singapore High Commission we did meet two wonderful people – the duty officer Mr. Joey who was walking in as we were walking out and went out of his way to call his counterpart in the Indian High Commission to get specific details on the process of passport application. The information he gave was not out of the ordinary, but the sensitivity and compassion with which he handled the case, was visible and remarkable. The second amazing person was the burly, simple, unassuming security guard, who left his duty post while Mr. Joey was helping me, to accompany Maneka and show her the only decent hotel in the area and who later guided us to the nearest police station. If I do go back to Johar Baru in the near future, it would be for him alone, but maybe I should wait for Maneka’s return.

Then came the worst part – the police complaint. In the first place the guy who tried to take my complaint did not know English and the woman who knew English insisted that I had ‘lost’ my bag and that it was not ‘stolen’. Now I know this line of argument and reasoning behind it, having worked with the police for so long, but I refused to budge from my stand and eventually they had to report my bag as stolen. Then they passed my case to the investigating officer who was a complete creep. The 45 minutes that we were with him was complete torture. He first tried to intimidate me by asking me to prove that I was not an illegal immigrant, and when I was firm, he tried to flirt with me and continuously made passes at me. I felt disgusted and violated and poor Maneka was so scared (she was scared entering the police station) but we could not do much as we were helpless! Despite the violent thoughts that were crossing my mind I stayed focused on the task – we had to get the report from him, which was important while applying for the passport. Finally we did leave the police station with the report, but without any hope of ever getting the bag back, as well as a very sorry impression of Malaysia itself. I had decided that I would never return.

After this we took a room under Maneka’s identity in a hotel and I went to see her off at the immigration. Was so sad that it was just a matter of one check post that was turning my life into hell. Maneka and I tried to figure who we could ask for help once she returned to College Green, and what all I needed from my room since I had nothing on me. She planned to come the next day, early morning with my stuff, so that I could proceed to KL to get my passport. Dejectedly I went back to the hotel, with all the warnings of everyone in my mind, as we had been told that the area and the city was a hotbed of crime and a single woman should not venture out. I was more or less under house arrest, but then staying in the room would not help my case, so I went to the cybercafé to let my family know.

And that is when things began to turn. Immediately got my sister online, told her the entire story, they made appropriate fun of my situation as only a family can, but promised to work things out as soon as possible. Since I did not have a phone I gave her the hotel no. and she promised call back as soon as they had worked things out. Just that chat with her lifted my spirits so much and knowing that someone knew where I was, that I was accessible, that if something were to happen to me someone would know and care, was all that I needed at that moment. Within a couple of minutes of reaching my room my sister had arranged my life for me J

Between her and my brother-in-law Sandy they had arranged for money and stay in KL as well as for me to be taken to KL that very night. My sister’s visa had expired so she could not fly down, but Sandy said he would be in KL by evening, just to be around me and give me company. I was so completely touched and felt so secure in the love that encircled me that I went to sleep. However, another friend in India got to know about my plight and called. I tried to sleep again and then Will, an MPP Junior student (not juniors anymore though) called. Will is from Johar Baru and was feeling very sorry on behalf of his country, which was ridiculous, but he did call his mom at 1 am and arranged for her to pick me up at the hotel and to put me on a train to KL the next morning, along with some family friends who were also traveling in the same train. By 7.45 am Harsha was already at the station with my things (she did not sleep the entire night as she did not want to get delayed) and Lily aunty came to my hotel and took me to the station. Randomly at the station, while waiting for the train, I met Shaobin, (PhD student from Korea who was at LKY for 1 semester) one of my classmates, and he not only kept me entertained throughout the train journey (6 hours) but treated me like a queen J

Once we reached KL uncle and aunty dropped me at Danny’s place (Will’s older brother) and I was warmly welcomed there. By then I was extremely exhausted because not only had I not slept the previous night, but I had been sleeping irregular hours for 10 days due to exams and so had not rested at all. Danny and his girlfriend AJ took me to a lovely café where we had brownies with ice-cream, which helped getting life back on a proper footing and Danny and I observed and commented on people around us. I soon realized that their household was much like ours in Bombay, with all the brothers, and that Danny was a mirror image of myself – a nasty / caring authoritarian dictator ;) Observing Danny I felt guilty for the way I treat my brothers in Bombay but at another level not so much – I love them equally after all :P Danny and I share the same zodiac sign as well as the same Chinese sign. Amazing how similar two people can be coming from such different backgrounds. After the fun evening I came back and tried to get in touch with people who would help me at the Indian High Commission on Monday and then went to sleep. And finally I slept well – 8 hours at a stretch!

Next morning was Mother’s day and Adrian’s (Danny’s cousin) parents were around. So we all went with them to a traditional Chinese place for breakfast. Before then I had only seen these places, but not ventured into them, however, in the company of experts I was comfortable trying different dishes. Brunch was good after which we came home to rest a bit. Once again I was touched by the response my email of the previous night had generated. My friends in the MPM programme in School had already called and made arrangements with their batch-mates who were working at the Indian High Commission in KL, my Trustees from back home were planning to call the High Commissioner and my family was happy that I was not staying in a hotel and getting frustrated, but was amongst the love and warmth of a family which had almost adopted me without question. It was only later that I realized that they are used to weirdos ;)

Once I was certain that I had inroads into the High Commission I dozed off again. It was such a lovely lazy Sunday afternoon. When I woke up I was hungry and it seemed the house was empty. I waited for 2 hours, skyped with my siblings and then cautiously ventured towards Adrian’s door (which had a ‘Leave’ sign outside it) and called out to him. Despite the noise in his room it was amazing how he could hear me and was immediately ready to go. Adrian, Gavin (the youngest cousin in the house) and I left at 5 pm, and we picked up Kenny (Adrian’s friend), a banker, who even with his eyes closed spoke only of foreign exchange. Had a real fun evening, ate local food, shopped a bit for essentials, ate ice-cream, moved around the touristy area, had chai at a roadside tapri and returned home at 1 am. That evening I guess put me completely at ease with all of them and I started behaving as if they were my own younger siblings and I was the matriarch of the house (since I was 3 weeks older than Danny too, who was the oldest). I felt so completely at home that there was no frustration at all in me and I was ready for whatever would be the outcome of my visit to the High Commission the next day.

Monday morning Danny drove me to the HC and did not leave till I was inside. The people were helpful, I had all my documentation, my application was accepted and I was assured that I would get a new passport the next day. Even before the formalities were over Adrian and Gavin along with 2 friends had already come to the HC to pick me up for lunch – so like Bombay. We had a traditional Malay buffet lunch, which was awesome, post which we went back to the house and soon after left for the airport to drop of the 2 friends who were on their way to Indonesia. On our way back Adrian missed a turn (don’t know how deliberate it was) and we ended up visiting Putrajaya, a township that I had wanted to see. And I am glad we saw it in passing, and did not have to stay there like Sandy, because it was ugly and showed what corruption could do to best plans! The splendor was completely tasteless!!! After our return I let Adrian work since he had deadlines to meet and went shopping with Gavin for family. Was a quick nice visit because we got called back by Danny who had returned from work and he, AJ, Gavin and I went to a typical Chinese restaurant for dinner. The food was really nice – infact food all over Malaysia is nice I guess J After coming back from dinner I finally managed to do some facebooking and catching up on emails, assuring the people who were worried for me that things were working out.

Since the next day I was to get my passport in the evening Adrian took me for breakfast to an Indian (South Indian) place restaurant, tables neatly set under a couple of trees and good food again! I was full by the time we left and we went to the Singapore High Commission just to check whether I needed a visa to get back, which I was told I would not need. Post this confirmation we went for shopping again and I accomplished the task of buying stuff for almost everyone at home, we went to the house to pick Gavin and proceeded for lunch. Post lunch saw more shopping and finally I had my passport in hand by 5. Promptly we booked my return on the 7 pm bus to Singapore but not before I was so stuffed that prior to leaving the house I had to lie down since I could barely sit up ;)

Adrian and Gavin came to see me off at the bus and were there till the bus almost left. My return was uneventful – thankfully! I landed in College Green post midnight and friends here were waiting for my return. I narrated my story, thanked everyone for their help, ate sweets before calling it a day at 4 am J

As I look back now the entire situation seems so fictional and yet so real. Fictional because despite being super cautious my bag was still stolen, and real because the calamity became a blessing as I ended up meeting wonderful people along the way who helped me unconditionally. Their warmth was so touching that I never felt alone for a moment, I felt as if I belonged wherever I was, and everything just seemed destined to happen. What would have been the worst trip ever turned out to be a blessing in disguise, both in terms of random people who helped me without any selfish motive and people that I expected to stand around for me were not there. Was a strong reality check for me. Guess it is situations like these which put things into perspective – and also indicate God’s hand in my life.

The day after my return, Narayanbhai called, my most special and caring friend from Bombay. He said he was amazed at my optimism. Said he was more worried for me than I was throughout the weekend. And that I totally believe him. It is just that I never question ‘Why me’ when such things happen or ponder a lot on ‘What ifs.’ All my life I firmly believe that God presents me with opportunities – to explore a different part of world, different facets of life, sends guardian angels along the way and all I am expected to do is keep myself open and trust and believe and enjoy. And I do just that J

I am truly thankful to everyone – Maneka, Harsha, Anil, Vinay, Mahesh, Shaobin and Will from School, my Trustees from Bombay; Mr. Joey and the security guard in the Singapore High Commission at Johar Baru; and Lily aunty, Danny, AJ and Gavin for making me belong to their family. And ofcourse my caveman – would have been lost without him J

Last but never the least my family has ALWAYS been around! I know whatever I am and whatever I will be is only because of them. They give meaning to my life with their unconditional support and jabbering!

The next trip to Malaysia would hopefully be soon enough – now that I have family there :D


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE JOURNEY OF WILDLIFE WHISPERER (PART 1 – The Beginning)

Mumbai Meri Jaan

BLAST FROM THE PAST